Conflict runnning on EOS Nomand - DMX Contol Conflict

Development discussion forum for the App
TrojanMBA

Conflict runnning on EOS Nomand - DMX Contol Conflict

Post by TrojanMBA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:54 am

Help please,

I purchased oscRFR for my iPad. However I cannot get it to work with our system without it making the system in operable.

We have EOSnomad Running on a iMac with 2 DMX512 universes. We run a private lighting and effects network. the iMac connects to a simple netgear router/switch via psychical ethernet (RJ45). The netgear router also has 2 ENTTEC openDMX Ethernet/DMX512 interfaces connected which are in turn connected to Chauvet Data Stream 4/way DMX Splitters which connect to our fixtures.

We connected our oscRFR on my iPad to our EOS Nomad instance via Peer-to-Peer and lost our DMX connections.

We are going to try to replace the netgear router with a wireless version with the hope that connected that way won't crash the DMX communication to the fixtures.

Will this work? If not how do we get oscRFR to work with Nomad and not lose
our DMX connections?

Kevin

Mothership
Site Admin

Re: Conflict runnning on EOS Nomand - DMX Contol Conflict

Post by Mothership » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi Kevin,

I have not heard of anything like this before. I'll ping Andrew an get him involved - he is more technically oriented, especially with Mac.

It sounds like something to do with the peer to peer setup is causing the mac to stop talking over the network card. Whether this is a Mac problem or an EOS problem - I'm not sure.

The OSC specification for EOS says you need to connect via a network - either UDP or TCP.

Druuka

Post by Druuka » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Hey guys,

I also responded to this on ETC Forums..(sorry not Facebook). There needs to be a dedicated wireless router/access point installed. The computer can not host the wifi network that the iPad is using to access the lighting network. The computer can not properly bridge the networks and also run Nomad because Nomad can only use 1 network adaptor on the computer and by trying to host a computer to computer network you are disabling the console output.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Andrew

TrojanMBA

Post by TrojanMBA » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:46 am

Added Linksys wrt54g Broadband router and still had no luck connecting to the EOSConsole with oscRFR.

Our network is private and does not connect to the internet. (WHich begs the questions does EOS or OSCRFR require a live internet connnection ion orderto function properly?

We have four devices with static IP's (+ the occasiona Ipad - iPhone to try to connect to the Console or try to figure out how to resolve the problems. They are as follows

the #1.) iMac running the EOSNomad S/W connected via hard ethernet to the #2) Linksys Broadand Router. The router has 2 (#3&#4) Enttec Open DMX Ethernet gateways running Arcnet protocol for routing the DMX data from EOS to the fixtures.

The only thing I did not do was use a "dumb" router/switch To segment the wifi traffics from the system traffic.

I changed the device IP to ETC recommended values, (Console 10.101.90.1, ODE gateways 10.101.10.1 & 10.101.10.2, Linksys WRT54G 10.101.1.1).

When I still had no connection I fell down the rabbit hole of trying to find/setup the DHCP server that was supposed to be running on the console. We have a huge show coming up next weekend we will be using the EOSNomad and our new LED moving fixures and we wayyyyy behind schedule. The moving fixtures are proving difficult and time consuming to program for the first time on nomad and I could really use oscRFR.

Help me someone please.

Mothership
Site Admin

Post by Mothership » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:29 pm

oscRFR and EOS do not require internet to operate - nor should you try to run the lighting console on a network attached to the internet.

Have you gone through the setup procedure here : http://www.alienstagecraft.com/connecttoeos.html

Post some pics of your setup settings so we can double check. Pics of your laptop network settings and router settings would help as well.

P

TrojanMBA

Post by TrojanMBA » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Here is EOS lighting lan as I am going to reconfigure shortly. The screen shots are of the last config so the ENTTEC devices will be changed and the Access point will be added. The WRT54 will not have wifi actived so all wifi will route through the WAP54.

Let me know if this looks corret. thank yo for your help
EOS ConfigFiles.pdf
Network Diagram as I am going to configure and screenshots of last config.
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 1084 times
I am attaching files

Mothership
Site Admin

Post by Mothership » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:53 pm

I'll ping Andrew again but at first glance

Change all the subnet masks to 255.255.0.0

If you can post a screen shot of the Setup > Showcontrol screen inside EOS

Druuka

Post by Druuka » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:42 am

Hey guys,

Kevin,
Trying to do this on the forum is going to be difficult. To expedite this please take screen snaps/pics of the network setting of all devices involved including
IP address
Network Mask
Gateway

What ports you are plugging into on the routers/ Lan or Wan ports are important.

Patricks suggestion of all devices needing subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 is a big one.

There should only be one DHCP server running on any system. If you have one or more routers and possibly the nomad computer running dhcp this can cause problems.
The gateway setting on the router(s) is important as they need to know which port to route the network traffic over.

This is sounding like a configuration issue on the networking side.

TrojanMBA

Post by TrojanMBA » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey guys! Happy to report I got it working! The problem was in the subnet mask. Using routers that wouldn't let you set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0

Once I got one that did - bing bang boom it connected.,,, :-)

Mothership
Site Admin

Post by Mothership » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 pm

GOOOOAAAAALLLLL !!!!!!

I hope it was worth it !